In this article, we discuss some of the essential things you need to know about wig caps. We discuss:
Why you should wear a wig cap
How to buy the right wig cap for you
How to put on a wig cap properly
Let’s get started!
Why you should wear a wig cap?
Here are some of the reasons that should prompt you to wear a wig cap.
1. A wig cap can help reduce your wig from sliding around. That’s because it adds friction that your wig needs to stay in place. This makes a wig cap a necessity for people with complete hair loss.
2. Wig caps are also great for people with sensitive scalps. If you have a sensitive scalp, putting on a wig cap before you wear your wig can provide you with great comfort and a shield for your scalp. A wig cap can help reduce itchiness, thus protecting your natural hair.
3. Wig caps can help you secure your wig easily because it makes the wig stay in place. A wig can easily come off, especially on windy days. But if you want to secure the wig, you need to wear a wig cap. A wig will prevent you from worrying about the wig falling off unexpectedly.
4. Wig caps also make wig-wearing pretty much hygienic. That’s because you can wash the wig cap every day with your laundry and wear a fresh one every day. This can help keep your wig and scalp fresh. And it can also protect your hair from infections brought by wearing a dirty wig cap.
5. For ladies with hair loss, whether partial or otherwise, wig caps are efficient in holding all the hair in place under the wig. This is great because you won’t have to worry about flyaway hair. This can help you rock your wig with a lot of confidence.
6. A wig cap can make your wig look more natural. Whenever you are wearing a wig, you want to ensure that it looks as natural as possible. A wig cap can help you achieve that. That’s because it will make your natural hair look as flat as possible without any unwanted bumps that are caused by natural hair underneath a wig. This allows the wig to sit much better on your head and produce not just a lovely look but also a more natural look that you are yearning for.
How to choose a wig cap?
Choosing a wig cap can be quite a challenge, especially if it is your first time. Here are tips that can help you choose the right wig cap for you.
1. Understand the different types of wig caps available
There are different types of wig caps available in the market. The most popular ones include:
This type of wig cap is also referred to as the basic cap. It is the heaviest of the wig caps, but very robust. It has a closed flower net lace top. They are generally made from a cotton-based material, and the hair is sewn into the cap by a machine.
This type of wig cap is the coolest one because of the spaces in between the wefts that allow air to flow directly to your scalp. So if you are worried about overheating, this is the perfect wig cap for you. Its pros include its durability, lightweight, and affordability.
Monofilament wig caps
This type of wig cap uses a sheer polyester or soft nylon mesh at the crown and top areas to allow the skin tone to show through, thus creating a natural scalp look. Since the cap shows through the cap, you will enjoy a more natural look compared to the standard cap. Some of the pros of this type of cap are that it offers versatile styling options, natural hair movement, and it is softer on the scalp. It also offers a natural-looking scalp. Its main downside is that it is very expensive.
100% Hand-tied caps
These types of caps are the crème de la crème of wig cap models. That’s because each strand of hair or synthetic fiber is sewn separately onto a mesh cap using a hand-knotting method. This technique tends to rely on handmade craftsmanship and is not dependent on machines and mechanical stitching. A 100% hand-tied cap is the best in the market. It is comfortable to the scalp, looks more natural, and the material is also flexible and soft.
2. Pay attention to the texture
Once you have identified which type of wig cap is ideal for you, the next important thing you need to pay attention to is its texture. Generally, people react differently to different materials. If you are sensitive to nylon or silk clothing, you shouldn’t wear it on your head either. But if you don’t react to these materials, you can go ahead and use them because nylon wig caps can help your wig stay in place and not slide off. On the other hand, a silk wig cap can protect your hair from any damage and reduce frizz. Either way, you need to for a wig cap that you are comfortable in and offers a bit of ventilation.
You also need to figure out the color of a wig cap that you want. The rule of thumb is that you need to choose a wig cap that is the same color as your wig. This can make your wig look more natural and flawless. So, let’s say you have a blonde wig, you need to choose a beige tone wig cap. On the other hand, a darker wig cap will suit your brunette wig.
How to put on a wig cap?
Finally, here is the part you have been waiting for - how you can put on a wig cap. Here is a step-by-step guide to help you put on a wig cap.
1. Start by styling your hair
You need to make your bundles of hair ready to be tucked under the cap. Apply a palm-sized amount of hair gel through your hair, and use your hands to make the gel penetrate deeper into your hair. Gently comb your hair to get rid of knots and tangles.
2. Wear your hair in cornrows
If you want your hair to look very flat and avoid unwanted bumps underneath your cap, you need to make your hair in cornrows. To do that, part your hair in even rows starting from the front of your head to the back. Then braid down each row, as you ensure that the braid attaches to the scalp. You can then use small rubber bands to hold the braids in place.
3. If you have thin hair, make a bun at the nape of your neck
Sometimes, making cornrows may not be possible if you have thin hair. So you can opt for a bun, especially if you have fine hair or shorter hair. Otherwise, the bun will stick out too much. Take all your hair and pull them back in a low, tight bun and secure it at the base of your head using pins. You can also make two smaller buns to make them lay flatter.
4. Spray scalp protector on your head if you have a sensitive scalp
While a wig cap tends to protect your scalp from the wig itself, the caps can still be itchy. So if you want to prevent itchiness and irritation, you need to spray the scalp protector all over your head and let it dry before you actually put on your wig cap.
5. Place the wig cap over your head
Take your wig cap and place it on your head. Ensure that it aligns with your natural hairline on the front of your head. This will ensure that all of your natural hair is completely covered by the cap and the wig. The cap’s edge should be in front or behind your hairline.
6. Pull the wig cap over the back of your head to the nape of your head
Once the wig cap is properly lined up in the front, stretch it snugly over your hair. Keep on pulling it down until its bottom hits where the base of your head and the top of your neck meet.
7. Tuck the sides of the cap behind your ears
When stretching the cap over your head, it will cover your ears, as well. Adjust the wig cap so that your ears are visible by pushing the sides up to make it rest behind your ears and not on top of them.
8. Insert bobby pins around the wig cap’s edges
If you want to stop your wig cap from sliding off or slipping, push bobby pins under the edges of the cap. This can help secure your wig cap to your hair. Place as many bobby pins as you want.